UNIONTOWN DISTRICT, No. 2.
The metes and bounds of Uniontown District are as follows:
“Beginning at Grove’s Ford, on Big Pipe Creek; thence down Big Pipe Creek to Sick’s Ford; thence with a straight line to Eckart’s Ford on Little Pipe Creek; thence up Little Pipe Creek to Sam’s Creek to Landis’ mill; thence with a road leading between the farms of Jacob Sneader and the late Henry Nicodemus to a stone on the Buffalo road; thence near Levi Devilbiss’ house, now occupied by Jacob Nusbaum, leaving said house in District No. 9 (thence near John Myers’ house, leaving the same in District No. 9); thence to Philip Nicodemus’ mill; thence down Turkeyfoot Branch to where it intersects Little Pipe Creek; thence up said creek to Haines’ mill, running through Widow Haines’ farm, leaving her house in District No. 2; thence through Joseph Haines’ farm, leaving his house in No. 7; thence through Michael Morelock, Sr.’s farm, leaving his house in No. 2; thence to Morelock’s tavern, on the Uniontown turnpike, leaving his house in No. 7; thence through Shaffer’s farm, leaving his house and factory in District No. 7; thence with a straight line to Smith’s old tavern on the Taneytown turnpike, leaving said house in District No. 7; thence to Hasson’s house, leaving his house in No. 2; thence to Messing’s mill, leaving his dwelling in No. 7; thence to the stone road near Stoneseifer’s house; thence with the stone road to place of beginning.”
This district is bounded on the north by Myers’, northwest and west by Taneytown, east by Westminster, south by New Windsor, and west by Union Bridge and Middleburg. Big Pipe Creek divides it from Taneytown District, and Little Pipe Creek skirts its southwestern corner, forming for a short distance the boundary line with New Windsor. Bear and Meadow Branches flow westerly through its centre and empty into Big Pipe Creek. Wolf-Pit Branch flows southwest, and Log Cabin Branch northwest, emptying respectively into Little and Big Pipe Creeks. The population of the district, according to the census of 1880, is two thousand six hundred and three.
The district was settled before 1745, and about 1760 the population increased rapidly. Among the pioneers were the Herbaughs, Norrises, Eckerds, Nicodemuses, Harrises, Babylons, Roops, Shepherds, Zollickoffers, Senseneys, Hibberds, Farmwalts, Brubakers, Hiteshews, Roberts, McFaddens, Stoneseifers, Erbs, Markers, Zepps, and Myerlys. The early settlers were largely Germans, with a sprinkling of English and Scotch-Irish. The Barnharts were the original owners of the land on which A. Zollicoffer now lives, and the land now owned by Capt. Brubaker was formerly in the possession of the Cover family. Mrs. Mehring owns the land upon which the Grammers lived. The Stouffers also took up a large tract south of Uniontown.
Uniontown is situated in an undulating and healthy country, two and a half miles from Linwood, seven from Westminster, and forty-three from Baltimore. Before there was any town here, more than a hundred years ago, Peter Moser kept a tavern, which is marked on the old Maryland maps, on the road from Baltimore through Westminster and Moravian Town (Graceham) to Hagerstown.
The first house built in the village was situated at the forks of the Hagerstown and Taneytown road, a log building one and a half stories high, containing three rooms. It was used as a hotel and store, and was kept first by Peter Moser, before the Revolution, and afterwards by Mr. McKenzie, and then by Mr. Hiteshew, who conducted it until 1809. It was built on the lot now occupied by Nathan Heck, and was torn down in 1831. The second house, a low structure, was built by Stephen Ford, and is now occupied by Mr. Segafoose. Mrs. Green’s hotel was built in 1802 by Conrad Stem, and was first kept by John Myers. The next house was built in 1804, and is now occupied by Charles Devilbiss. It was first occupied by a family named Myers. That in which Reuben Matthias lives was erected in 1805. Its first occupant was John Kurtz, who kept a store. The town was then called “The Forks,” and its name was changed in 1813 to Uniontown, when the people were trying to secure a new county, which it was proposed to call “Union County,” with this town as the county-seat. The project failed, but the village retained the name of Uniontown. The first physician was Dr. Hobbs, and he was succeeded by Dr. Boyer, who lived outside of the town. His successor was Dr. Hibberd. The first blacksmith was Nicholas Hiteshew, whose shop was at the foot of the hill leading to the Stouffer residence. His shop was there in 1800. Wm. Richinacker and George Attick were the pioneer carpenters of the hamlet. The first schoolmaster was Thomas Harris, who taught in 1807 in the house now occupied by Mr. Segafoose. Moses Shaw came here in 1816 and kept a tavern on the property now owned by Charles Devilbiss. In 1817, Jacob Appler was a wealthy citizen living near town. Charles Devilbiss, David Stouffer, Isaac Hiteshew, Upton Norris, Capt. Henry Anders, Mr. Harris, Samuel Shriner, Thomas Metcalf, and many others from Uniontown and its vicinity volunteered for the defense of Baltimore during the war of 1812. The first school-house was erected in 1810, in the lower part of the town. It has been removed several times and is still standing. Cardinal McCloskey, of New York City, was born in Uniontown, in a log house opposite the cemetery. In 1818 St. Lucas’ church was built, under the pastorate of Rev. Winebrenner. Subsequent pastors were Revs. Helfenstein and Graves. It is now occupied by the Church of God. In those days it was customary to raise funds for the erection of churches and other public enterprises by means of lotteries. Below is given the scheme by which the money was obtained to build St. Lucas’ church:
1 prize of $1200 is $1200
1 “ 500 is 500
1 “ 200 is 200
4 “ 100 is 400
10 “ 50 is 500
60 “ 10 is 600
250 “ 8 is 2000
800 “ 7 is 5600
2200 tickets at $5 is $11,000
“1st drawn 300 tickets, each $7.
“1st drawn ticket after 1000, $500
“1st drawn ticket after 2000, $1200.
“Part of the above prizes will be paid in part as follows: prize of $1200 by 100 tickets in 2d class, Nos. 1 and 100 inclusive; prize of $500 by 50 tickets in 2d class, Nos. 101 and 150 inclusive; prize of $200 by 15 tickets in 2d class, Nos. 151 and 166 inclusive; prizes of $10, $8, and $7 by 1 ticket in 2d class, commencing with first drawn of ten dollar prizes with No. 167, and so upwards in regular succession with said prizes of $10, $8, and $7. Ticket in 2d class valued at $5 each.
1 prize of $1000 is $1000
1 “ 400 is 400
1 “ 200 is 200
2 ‘ 100 is 200
6 “ 50 is 300
20 “ 20 is 400
122 “ 10 is 1220
155 “ 8 is 1240
720 “ 7 is 5040
2000 tickets at $5 is $10,000
“1st drawn 200 tickets, each $7.
“1st drawn ticket after 1500, $1000.
“Part of the above prizes will be paid in part as follows: prize of $1000 by 80 tickets in 3d class, Nos. 1 and 80 inclusive; prize of $400 by 40 tickets, Nos. 81 and 121 inclusive; prize of $200 by 15 tickets, No. 122 and 137 inclusive; prizes of $10, $8, and $7 by 1 ticket each, commencing with No. 138 to the first drawn ten dollar prize, and continuing regularly up with said prizes. Tickets valued in 3d class at $5 each.
1 prize of $1500 is $1500
1 “ 600 is 600
1 “ 300 is 300
2 “ 100 is 200
20 “ 50 is 1000
26 “ 15 is 390
261 “ 10 is 2610
400 “ 8 is 3200
600 “ 7 is 4200
2800 tickets at $5 each is $14,000
“1st drawn 250 tickets, each $7.
“1st drawn ticket after 1000, $300.
“1st drawn ticket after 2300, $1500.
“Prizes subject to a deduction of 20 per cent. in each class, and payable ninety days after the completion thereof. The managers in offering the above scheme to the public, for the purpose of appropriating the proceeds to a church, feel confident that they will meet with a general support. Perhaps no scheme has been offered heretofore that affords so great a chance to adventurers, there being more prizes than blanks, and only few tickets in each class.
“Those persons who purchased tickets in the original scheme will please to exchange them for tickets in the first class as soon as possible, as the managers are very reluctantly obliged to abandon it, as a duty they owe to the church and the public, in consequence of the magnitude of the original scheme. As a number of tickets are already held in the first class, the managers pledge themselves to commence the drawing as soon as possible.
“Jacob Appler, Sr. * Thomas Boyer.
Nicholas Snider. John Dager.
Moses Shaw. Jacob Shriver.
John Crabb. John Shates.
William B. Hubbard.
“UNIONTOWN, MD., April, 1817.”
In 1807, Mr. Cover established a tan-yard. The tan-yard now operated by Mr. Hoffman was opened in 1842 by Charles Devilbiss. The Methodist church was built in 1822. In 1813 the Masonic Temple was erected where the house of the Misses Yingling now stands. It was torn down between 1825 and 1830, and its brick used in building a house on Mr. Zollikoffer’s farm. The town has been several times incorporated, but its charters expired for want of elections or failure to conform to them. In 1807 the house now used as a dry-house in the tannery was removed from Westminster by Frederick Stem. It had been a Catholic church, and its brick was brought from England. The post-office was established here about 1813, and the first postmaster was John Hyder, who laid out the town after a few houses had been built. In 1817, Jonas Crumbacker advertised the Boorhavean Lotion” for sale at his store as a grand anti-rheumatic tincture. In 1817 the Frederick County Court, at its October term, ordered a public road to be laid out from Liberty Town through Union Town to Andrew Shriver’s mill. Dr. Clement Hubbs in 1817 lived on his farm called “Valley Farm.”
Moses Shaw and John Gibbony advertised that races would be run over a handsome course near Uniontown, Wednesday, Sept. 10, 1817, and a purse of ninety dollars was free for any horse, mare, or gelding running four miles and repeat, carrying weight agreeable to the rules of racing. And on the Thursday following a purse of forty dollars was offered, free as the above, the winning horse of the preceding day excepted, two miles and repeat, carrying a feather; and on Friday a purse of seventy dollars, free as above, the winning horses the preceding days excepted, running three miles and repeat, carrying a feather. Four horses to be entered each day or no race, to be entered the day previous to running or pay double entrance, entrance to pay one shilling in the pound. No jostling or foul riding to be countenanced.
Uniontown is one of the most enterprising villages in Carroll County. According to the last census it contained three hundred and eighteen inhabitants. It is the commercial centre of the district, the polling-place for the voters, and a popular resort for the energetic and intelligent population by which it is surrounded. A number of charitable, social, and business organizations have been formed in the town, or have moved thither from other portions of the county, and are all in a flourishing condition.
Door to Virtue Lodge, No. 46, of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, moved Nov. 7, 1813, to Uniontown from Pipe Creek, where the members met uninterruptedly until 1824.
At the communication of November 21st, “Brothers William P. Farquhar, J. Cloud, and Jacob R. Thomas were appointed a committee to prepare a petition to the Legislature for a lottery to defray the expense of building the Uniontown Masonic Lodge Hall,” but the committee never reported, the lottery was never granted, and the hall was never built.
The officers from December, 1813, to June, 1814, were William P. Farquhar, W.M.; J.R. Thomas, S.W.; C. Ogborn, J.W.; and Jesse Cloud, Sec.; J. Wright, Treas. From June to December, 1814, William P. Farquhar, W.M.; J.R. Thomas, S.W.; Joseph Wright, J.W.; Henry Gassaway, Sec.; and Enoch Taylor, Treas. From December, 1814, to June, 1815, Jesse Cloud, W.M.; J.R. Thomas, S.W.; J. Wright, J.W.; William Bontz, Sec.; and John Richnicker, Treas. From June to December, 1815, Jacob R. Thomas, W.M.; William P. Farquhar, S.W.; Henry Gassaway, J.W.; William Bontz, Sec.; and Isaac Lyon, Treas. From December, 1815, to June, 1816, Joseph Wright, W.M. Isaac P. Thomas, S.W.; John C. Cockey, J.W.; William P. Farquhar, Sec.; and Charles Devilbiss, Treas.
During this term, at a meeting held Feb. 25, 1816, the lodge manifested its appreciation of the importance of “proficiency” by passing the following resolution: “That every member shall make himself well acquainted with such degrees of Masonry as have been conferred upon him before he can be permitted to advance further into Masonry,” thus anticipating by forty-four years the standing resolution of the Grand Lodge of May, 1860. The officers from June to December, 1816, were Wm. P. Farquhar, W.M.; J.R. Thomas, S.W.; Isaac Lyon, J.W.; John C. Cockey, Sec. From June, 1817, to June, 1818, Wm. P. Farquhar, W.M.; Isaac Lyon, S.W.; Joseph Wright, J.W.; J.C. Cockey, Sec.; and John Richnecker, Treas.
The lodge, from the beginning, had always held its stated meetings on Sunday, but on the 28th of December, 1817, it was resolved, “That the meetings shall for the winter season be on the Saturday evening preceding the fourth Sunday, at 6 o’clock P.M.” In the following spring we find the brethren again assembling as usual on the first day of the week. The officers from June to December, 1818, were Wm. P. Farquhar, W.M.; Joseph Wright, S.W.; Israel Lyon, J.W.; J.C. Cockey, Sec.; and George W. Gist, Treas. On the 18th June, this same year, the lodge had its first funeral procession. It was at Libertytown, and in honor of Enoch Taylor, who was one of the original or charter members, the first senior deacon, and afterwards junior warden, senior warden, and treasurer.
The first junior warden, William Slaymaker, it appears, also died during this term, as the lodge, on the 13th of September, appointed a committee “to take in subscriptions to be applied to the erection of a tombstone over his remains, and to wait on the widow and trustees of the church on this subject to obtain their consent,” etc.
The officers from December, 1818, to June, 1819, were Wm. P. Farquhar, W.M.; Alexander McIlhenny, S.W.; Charles Devilbiss, J.W.; J.C. Cockey, Sec.; and George W. Gist, Treas. At the meeting of Feb. 22, 1819, “a memorial was presented from Wm. H. McCannon, Thomas Gist, and others, Master Masons, eight in number, for a recommendation to the Grand Lodge for a charter for new lodge, to be established in Westminster. On motion, the further consideration thereof was postponed until the fourth Sunday in March,” and the postponement seems to have been indefinite, as nothing more is heard of the memorial. “The craft then moved in procession down to the lodge-hall, where an oration was delivered in honor of the day by Upton Scott Reid, in the presence of the lodge and the public, after which the craft returned to the lodge-room, and the honors of the lodge were conferred on Bro. Reid for his oration.” On the 25th of April it was
“Resolved, That hereafter the stated meetings of this lodge shall be on the evening of the day of every full moon at two o’clock P.M., except from the first of November until the first day of April, during which time the lodge shall meet at ten o’clock A.M., unless the moon shall be full on Sunday, in which case the meeting shall be held at the same hour on the Friday preceding.”
The officers from June to December, 1819, were Alexander McIlhenny, W.M.; George W. Gist, S.W.; Benjamin Yingling, J.W.; Upton S. Reid, Sec.; and Dr. William B. Hebbard, Treas. The festival of St. John the Baptist (June 24th) was kept this year in true Masonic style. The number of brethren present, including visitors, was over one hundred, and after conferring the third degree “a procession was formed and the craft proceeded to St. Lucas’ church, where divine service was performed and a discourse delivered by the Rev. Bro. John Armstrong.” By a resolution passed July 7th the fee for each of the three degrees was fixed at ten dollars, and it was also “Resolved, That if a candidate for initiation be elected, and does not attend at the first or second meetings after such an election, having been duly notified thereof, his petition shall be returned, and his deposit retained for the benefit of the institution.” The officers from December, 1819, to June, 1820, were Alexander McIlhenny, W.M.; Upton S. Reid, S.W.; Benjamin Yingling, J.W.; John Hyder, Sec.; and Dr. William B. Hebbard, Treas.; from June to December, 1820, Upton S. Reid, W.M.; Benjamin Yingling, S.W.; John W. Dorsey, J.W.; John Ryder, Sec.; and W.B. Hebbard, Treas. On St. John’s day (June 24th) “a discourse was delivered by the W.M., highly gratifying to all the brethren present.” Soon after, on the 25th of July, the lodge, for the first time, was compelled to visit upon an unworthy member the severest penalty known to their laws. The offender was an unaffiliated Master Mason, formerly a member of Mechanics’ Lodge, No. 153, New York, whose application for membership in this lodge had been twice rejected. He was tried on the charge of “unmasonic conduct. Specification 1st. Using profane language at Uniontown, on or about the 1st of’ May, 1820.” To which the accused pleaded “guilty.” “Specification 2d. Being intoxicated on the evening of the said day at Uniontown.” Pleaded “guilty.” “Specification 3d. Giving the G― and S―, etc., to persons, or in the presence of persons, who were not Masons, at New Windsor, some time in the spring of 1819.” Pleaded “not guilty.” “The testimony being closed,” says the record, “the accused made his defense and then retired.” The lodge then proceeded to consider the case, and after mature consideration did find the accused guilty of the charge, and sentenced him to be expelled from all the rights and benefits of Masonry.” The officers from December, 1820, to June, 1821, were U.S. Reid, W.M.; W.H. McCannon, S.W.; Joshua W. Owings, J.W.; John Hyder, Sec.; and W.B. Hebbard, Treas.; from June to December, 1821, Alexander McIlhenny, W.M.; Benjamin Yingling, S.W.; James Blanchford, J.W.; William Curry, Sec.; and W.B. Hebbard, Treas.
On the 24th of June, “it was unanimously resolved, in conformity with the recommendation of the Grand Lodge at its last Grand Annual Communication, that this lodge in future abandon and desist from the practice of using spirituous liquors at their refreshments in and about the lodge.”
On the 11th of October there was a solemn procession and commemorative services in honor of the Grand Master of the State, Charles Wirgwan, who had recently died. The sermon was preached in St. Lucas’ Reformed Church, by the Rev. R. Elliott, P.M. of Columbia Lodge, No, 58, Frederick, who generously returned the fee of ten dollars offered him “into the charity fund, with his hearty and most sincere thanks and prayers for their welfare in this world and eternal happiness hereafter.” The officers from December, 1821, to June, 1822, were A. McIlhenny, W.M.; B. Yingling, S.W.; James Blanchford; J.W.; William Curry, Sec.; and W.B. Hebbard, Treas.
On the 7th of January, 1822, it was unanimously resolved, “that hereafter our stated meetings shall be held on the fourth Sunday in the month, as originally printed in the by-laws of 1813.” Soon after, on the 28th of the same month, at Taneytown, the lodge buried with Masonic honors its late Past Master, Upton Scott Reid. The chaplain on this mournful occasion was the Rev. Daniel Zollikoffer.
The officers from June to December, 1822, were William P. Farquhar, W.M.; William H. McCannon, S.W.; Nicholas Snider, J.W.; Alexander McIlhenny, Sec.; and W.B. Hebbard, Treas. From December, 1822, to June, 1823, Benjamin Yingling, W.M.; John Giboney, S.W.; James Blanchford, S.W.; William Curry, J.W.; A. McIlhenny, Sec.; and W.B. Hebbard, Treas. From June, 1823, to December, 1823, W.P. Farquhar, W.M.; N. Snider, S.W.; William Curry, J.W.; A. McIlhenny, Sec.; and W.B. Hebbard, Treas. On the 24th of February, 1823, the fee for the three degrees was reduced to twenty dollars, viz., seven for the first, five for the second, and eight for the third. From December, 1823, to June, 1824, W.P. Farquhar, W.M.; N. Snider, S.W.; Jacob Glazer, J.W.; A. McIlhenny, Sec.; and Israel Bentley, Treas.
From June 4, 1815, there had been connected with this lodge a “Mark Lodge,” for the purpose of conferring the degree of Mark Master, which is now given only in Royal Arch Chapters, but at the meeting held Feb. 22, 1824, “Door to Virtue Mark Lodge” was declared to be defunct and its books closed.
On the 13th of April, 1824, there was a special meeting at “Shriver’s Inn,” Westminster, the object of which was to pay proper Masonic respect to the memory of a deceased brother, John Holmes, of No. 1, Ohio.
On the 13th of June the lodge went into mourning for sixty days for the death of the Grand Master, Gen. W.H. Winder. The officers from June to December, 1824, were W.P. Farquhar, W.M.; John C. Cockey, S.W.; Joshua W. Owings, J.W.; W.H. McCannon, Sec.; and Michael Bornetz, Treas.
Wyoming Tribe, No. 37, I.O.R.M., was instituted March 18, 1860, and the charter was granted April 23, 1860, to the following members, who then composed the lodge: Frank E. Roberts, John S. Devilbiss, Jr., George H. Routson, B. Mills, C.S. Devilbiss, and C.A. Gosnell, all residing within Uniontown. The first officers of the lodge were, viz.: Prophet, F.E. Roberts; Sachem, Dr. B. Mills; Senior Sagamore, John S. Devilbiss; Junior Sagamore, George H. Routson; Chief of Records, Charles Gosnell; Keeper of Wampum, C.S. Devilbiss.
The tribe numbers sixty-eight members in good standing, and the present officers are as follows:
Prophet, John A. Brown; Sachem, B.L. Waltz; Senior Sagamore, J. Hamilton Singer; Junior Sagamore, William Strimme; Chief of Records, H.P. Englar; Keeper of Wampum, Jesse T.H. Davis; Guard of Wigwam, G.A. Davis; Guard of the Forest, William H. Baker.
Brothers’ Relief Division, No. 136, Sons of Temperance, was incorporated by the General Assembly, Feb. 24, 1860. The incorporators were Alfred Zollickoffer, S. Hope, E. Bankerd, J. Bankerd, E. Adams, Samuel Anders, D. Stultz, J.H. Christ, T.H. Adams, M. Jenkins, J. Beau, J.H. Gordon, J. Zepp, J. McHenry, T. Welling, A. Bitesell, R. Sharpley, A. Hurley, W.S. Lantz, J.E. Starr, William Eckard, D. Seller, Charles Myers, Lewis Byers, N.N. Meredith, T.H. Routson, F.A. Devilbiss, J.A. Eckard, J.N. Galwith, G.H. Brown, William H. Bankerd, G. Kugle, G. Winter, T.A. Eckard, John W. Kinney, J. Little, P. Smith, T. Eckard, G. Hamburg, G.W. Gilbert, A. Eckard, A. Little, P. Little.
The Uniontown Academy was incorporated by the General Assembly by an act passed March 26, 1839, making Samuel Cox, Dr. James L. Billingslea, John Smith, Henry Harbaugh, and William Roberts trustees, and making them and their successors a body politic.
The Carroll County Savings Institution was organized in Uniontown Feb. 27, 1871, by an act of the General Assembly, with the following gentlemen as incorporators: Robert B. Varden, William H. Starr, Levi Caylor, David Foutz, Dennis Cookson, John Gore, Daniel S. Deight, Emanuel Formwalt, J. Hamilton Singer, and Levi Engler, all citizens of Carroll County. The amount of capital of the corporation was twenty thousand dollars, and the above gentlemen were appointed a board of directors.
The present officers of the institution are D. Stoner, president; W.H. Starr, treasurer; Levi Caylor, secretary; and T.H. Davis, assistant secretary. Board of trustees, D.N. Stoner, D. Foutz, Levi Caylor, Edwin J. Gilbert, Daniel S. Diehl, T.H. Davis, W.H. Stoner, Dr J.J. Weaver.
The institution is in a very prosperous condition, and has been successful since its formation.
The Maryland Mutual Benefit Association of Carroll County for Unmarried Persons was incorporated under the laws of Maryland with its home-office in Uniontown. The officers are: President, Thomas H. Routson; Vice-President, Philip H. Babylon; Secretary, Jesse T.H. Davis; Treasurer, Edwin G. Gilbert; Agent, John A. Brown; Attorney, Charles T. Reifsnider. The board of trustees are Thomas H. Routson, Edwin G. Gilbert, Jacob J. Weaver, Jr., M.D., P.H. Babylon, John A. Brown, Thomas F. Shepherd, Jesse T.H. Davis.
A copy of the Engine of Liberty and Uniontown Advertiser, No. 22 of Volume I., dated Feb. 3, 1814, a newspaper published by Charles Shower, at two dollars per annum, contains among other matters the proceedings of the Legislature of Maryland, Louis Gassaway, clerk, and a short extract of the proceedings of the Massachusetts Legislature.
The editor advertises for subscriptions to a novel entitled “The Storm,” in two volumes, price seventy-five cents; also that the office of the Engine of Liberty is removed “to the new brick building of Mr. Henry Meyers, nearly opposite to where it was formerly kept.” Some news is given from New York, January 29th, and Richmond, January 27th, with an account of the camp at New Point Comfort, and describing the enemy’s fleet. An account of an earthquake at Showanoetown, Illinois Territory, Dec. 13, 1813, is published; also a resolution passed by the New York Legislature, January 29th, appropriating fifty thousand dollars for the relief of the sufferers of the Niagara frontier.
Among the advertisements Morris Meredith advertises for sale a lot of twenty-five acres of valuable land adjoining Uniontown, on the road leading from Baltimore to Hagerstown.
Joshua Gist offers for sale his dwelling-house and plantation, containing six hundred acres, within two miles of Westminster. The said Westminster is expected to be the county town of a new county that is to be made out of Baltimore and Frederick Counties. Also two hundred and eighty acres about three or four miles from Westminster.
Israel Rinehart and Ulrich Switzer, executors of David Rinehart, deceased, and Hannah Urner and John Rinehart, administrators of Jonas Urner, give notice to creditors.
On the fourth page is given a column of foreign news, embracing England, France, and Germany. Jacob Appler, Sr., advertises three lots of land in Libertytown, also seven and a half acres of woodland adjoining the lands of Abraham Albaugh.
Ann Willis offers her farm of two hundred and eighty-two and a half acres, on Sam’s Creek, on the road leading from Libertytown to Baltimore, for sale.
Beal Dorsey, near Freedom Town, advertises one hundred and fifteen acres of land, near McMurray’s tavern.
John Shriver offers for sale a dwelling-house, wheelwright-shop, and two lots in Uniontown.
Samuel Lookingpeale, at Capt. John Williams’, desires to sell sixty-five acres of land within half a mile of Philip Cromer’s tavern.
Edward Stevenson, within four or five miles of the Sulphur Springs, Frederick County, advertises his farm of two hundred and ten acres.
Henry C. Dorsey offers his mill-seat and farm, on the waters of Sam’s Creek, three-quarters of a mile below Mr. Londes’ mill, also two hundred and twenty-three acres in Hampshire County, Va., for sale.
John Williams, desiring to move to the Western country, wishes to sell his farm of two hundred and thirty-eight acres, situate on the waters of Sam’s Creek.
This copy was about one-fourth the size of the Democratic Advocate, is well printed, and seems to have been well sustained, judging from its advertising patronage.
A copy of the Engine of Liberty, bearing date Nov. 25, 1813, which was published at Uniontown, contains nine columns and a half of Judge Luther Martin’s charge to the grand jury of Baltimore County and the grand jury’s reply.
The marriages of Philip Bishop, of’ Adams County, Pa., and Miss Mary Senseney. of Frederick County, on the 23d of’ November, 1813, and Daniel Stoner and Miss Ann Roop, both of Frederick County, on the 25th of the same month, are published; also the death, on the 12th of November, of Philoman Barnes, aged about ninety years.
A meeting of the citizens of Uniontown and vicinity is called to meet on December 7th, at the house of George Herbach, to petition Congress for a post-route from Westminster to Fredericktown; also to petition the next Legislature to grant them a lottery to raise money to purchase a fire-engine.
Some war news is reported, including an account of his victory over the Creek Indians on November 4th by Gen. Jackson. One or two articles published showed that the editor, like most Federalists, was opposed to the war of 1812—14.
Among the advertisements are the sale of farming utensils and household goods by Francis Hollingsworth, Little Pipe Creek; auction sale of dry goods, etc., by John Kurtz, at Uniontown; the sale of one hundred and twenty acres of land on Meadow Branch, one mile from Uniontown, by Christian Stouffler; also notices of two petitions to the General Assembly of Maryland, one of’ which, signed by citizens of Baltimore and Frederick Counties, is a prayer for a new county. The metes and bounds asked for are substantially the same as those granted twenty-four years later, when the bill was passed creating the county of Carroll.
The other petition was for a law “to open a road from New Windsor to intersect the old Liberty road, on the line between Eli Dorsey and James Pearre, about a quarter of a mile below Conrad Dudderar’s tavern.”
The Star of Federalism, a small newspaper of four pages, each with five columns, was established March, 1816, by Charles Sower, with the motto, “Nothing extenuate, nor aught set down in malice.” Its terms were two dollars per annum, and it was printed in the building now occupied by R.J. Matthias. Its agents were:
LibertyTown, Nathan England; Sam’s Creek, Jacob Landis; New Windsor, William Brawner, Chr. Ecker; Baltimore County, Thomas Pole; Westminster, Thomas Gist, Nicholas Lemon; New Market, William Hodgkiss; Taneytown, Nicholas Snider; Midd]eburg, J.C. and G.W. Gist; Pipe
Creek, W.P. Farquhar; Union Bridge, Moses B. Farquhar; Emmittsburg, P. Reid, of Alexander; Baltimore, Edward J. Coale; Cumberland, Francis Reid; Mount Pleasant, David Stem; Norristown, Christopher Sower, Nathan Potts; Triadelphia, Andrew Graff; Darnes Town, Robert
Groomes, John Candler; Hyatt’s Town, William Hyatt; Pickneyville, D. Holliday.
It was in size thirteen by twenty inches, and after its publication in Uniontown for a year was removed to Frederick Town, and there published by Mr. Sower as late as December, 1819.
The Enterprise was established in 1856 by William Sedwick and Dr. Mills. It was a small sheet, and was published until the close of the year, when it was merged into a larger paper called The Weekly Press. The latter was first issued in January, 1857, with J.H. Christ as editor, its publishers being those of its predecessor, Dr. Mills and William Sedwick. It was published as late as July 26, 1861.
Church of God.—Religion appears to have taken firm hold of the people of Uniontown and its vicinity at an early date. Allusion has already been made to the building of St. Lucas’ church by a lottery, under the auspices of the Presbyterian denomination. The congregation of the Church of God was organized in 1833, numbering at that time about fifty members, and the Presbyterian faith not having proved as popular in the community as was expected, St. Lucas’ was transferred to the new organization. Abraham Appler was the elder of the church, and Isaac Appler, deacon. Edward West was the first regular pastor, and was succeeded by Rev. Maxwell, Rev. Jacob Linninger, Rev. Joseph Adams, Rev. William McFadden, Joseph Bombarger, R.C. Price, Rev. I.L. Richmond, Rev. Saletymer, and several others. The congregation now numbers about fifty members, and is under the care of Rev. Mr. Lugenbeel. This church is the mother of the churches at Middletown, Mayberry, Frizzelburg, and Greenwoods, which are all now in this charge. The Warfield, Winfield, and Carlton Churches at one time belonged to the same charge, and were under the supervision of this church. Their annual camp-meeting is held a few miles from Uniontown.
The Church of God Cemetery is situated immediately in rear of the church. The remains of the following persons are buried within its limits:
M.M. Currey, died July 5, 1830, aged 35.
Martha Currey, died May 16, 1852, aged 56.
Eleanor Banks, died Dec. 31, 1859, aged 81.
John M. Ferguson; born Sept. 8, 1786, died Oct. 20, 1861.
Rebecca, his wife, died Sept. 16, 1843, aged 60.
James Currie, died Aug. 26, 1827, aged 64.
Rebecca Eckard, died Feb. 6, 1842, aged 39 years, 3 months, 9 days.
John W. Davis, born March 22, 1813, died Aug. 9, 1877.
Mary Davis, born March 5, 1792, died Jan. 8, 1865.
Jonathan G. Davis, born March 28, 1779, died Jan. 4, 1842.
Edward Davis, died Aug. 2, 1825, aged 8.
John S. Shriver, born Aug. 26, 1794, died Dec. 6, 1814.
Elizabeth Ann Mary Martha Grammar, died April 26, 1833.
Andrew Werble, died April 29, 1849, aged 65 years, 6 months, 4 days.
Rachael Metcalf; died April 12, 1826, aged 54 years.
Solomon Beam, born July 11, 1798, died June 20, 1819.
Isaac Hiteshew, died March 19, 1829, aged 34 years, 2 months, 15 months.
Sivilla Reck, died March 15, 1826, aged 27 years, 1 month, 13 days.
Ezra Metcalfe, died Jan. 4, 1841, aged 29 years, 2 months, 25 days.
Conrad Stuller, born June 8, 1823, died July 3, 1876.
Henry Hiner, born March 9, 1770, died Sept. 12, 1847.
Hannah Hiner, died Dec. 11, 1847, aged 62 years, 3 months.
Samuel Hiner, born April 5, 1817, died Nov. 8, 1876.
Esther Hiteshew, died Oct. 31, 1844, aged 72 years, 14 days.
David Yingling, born Oct. 20, 1804, died April 23, 1874.
William H. Christ, born April 25, 1831, died Nov. 9, 1862.
Morgan A. Christ, died Jan. 2, 1870, aged 34 years, 3 months, 25 days.
Jacob Appler, died April 23, 1823, aged 34 years, 4 months, 1 day.
Abraham Appler, born Dec. 10, 1790, died Feb. 1, 1878.
Rebecca, his wife, and daughter of Jacob Hoffman, of Bainbridge, Lancaster Co., Pa., died Aug. 28, 1866, aged 70, and who was a member of the church for 50 years.
Mary J., wife of D.R. Carlyle, died Feb. 19, 1875, aged 50 years, 5 months.
Jacob Christ, born Sept. 22, 1789, died Nov. 30, 1872.
Elizabeth, his wife, died May 16, 1867, aged 68 years, 10 months, 12 days.
Abraham Garner, died Aug. 2, 1789, aged 63 years, 10 months, 25 days.
Mary Cover, born Dec. 20, 1754, died March 17, 1828.
Sarah, wife of Dan. Smith, died July 4, 1844, aged 66 years, 3 months, 14 days.
Barbara, relict of Barton Bean, died May 12, 1858, aged 74 years, 1 month, 5 days.
Sophia Yingling, aged 70.
William Wilson, died Nov. 12, 1849, aged 73 years, 9 months, 28 days.
Elizabeth, his wife, died Dec. 28, 1869, aged 84 years, 4 months, 7 days.
Margaret, wife of Ephraim Garner, died Aug. 12, 1855, aged 34 years, 2 months, 6 days.
Oliver, son of William and Elizabeth Hiteshew. Enlisted in Co. E, 203d Regiment P.V., Aug. 31, 1864, and was killed Jan. 15, 1865, whilst in the act of planting the flag on Fort Fisher, aged 18 years, 3 months, 17 days.
James Hiteshew, died Nov. 21, 1874, aged 24 years.
Anna, wife of John Gore, died March 10, 1874, aged 63 years, 6 months, 16 days.
Rebecca Grammar, born Sept. 10, 1793, died June 8, 1864.
Sarah C. Grammar, born June 22, 1824, died April, 1864.
Mary D.C., wife of John Grammar, died Aug. 23, 1856, age 57 years, 8 months.
Elizabeth, wife of A. Koons, died Aug. 2, 1874, aged 82.
Angeline, wife of John T. Wilson, died Feb. 5, 1878, aged 62 years, 3 months, 26 days.
Annie Clay, died Feb. 19, 1877, aged 69 years, 10 months.
Mary Ann Hollenberger, died Jan. 4, 1855, aged 37 years, 5 months, 10 days.
Peter Hollenberger, died March 22, 1860, aged 70 years, 4 months, 22 days.
Magdalena, his wife, died Feb. 23, 1862, aged 76.
Rachel Yingling, born Jan. 28, 1801, died July 30, 1865.
Jacob Bloom, born July 20, 1794, died Sept. 19, 1862.
Mary, his wife, born Jan. 20, 1800, died March 24, 1877.
Samuel Anders, died April 26, 1865, aged 61 years, 10 months, 5 days.
Lydia, his wife, died Dec. 12, 1876, aged 74 years, 8 months, 28 days.
John Garner, died Sept. 13, 1860, aged 57 years.
Hannah Hetshue, died March 1, 1876, aged 74.
Ary, wife of James Few, died April 30, 1861, aged 69 years, 3 months, 19 days.
Thomas Metcalf, born Dec. 5, 1783, died March 17, 1862.
George Warner, died June 18, 1862, aged 79.
Elender A. Warner, born Dec. 22, 1786, died Feb. 26, 1867.
Catharine Hollenberger, born July 4, 1825, died April 7, 1874.
John P. Glass, a member of Co. G, 6th Md. Potomac Home Brigade, who died at Frederick Hospital, Sept. 12, 1863, aged 29 years, 4 months, 3 days.
Lieut. Peter Wolfe, Co. G, Md. P.H.B., died Aug. 1, 1862, aged 34 years, 4 months, 3 days.
Mary Smith, died Jan. 11, 1863, aged 54.
Sarah Burgoon, died Nov. 20, 1878, aged 71 years, 11 months, 20 days.
John Eckard, born Jan. 24, 1795, died Sept. 8, 1872.
Elizabeth Eckard, born Jan. 12, 1799, died Dec. 30, 1865.
John A. Eckard, born Aug. 29, 1831, died Aug. 21, 1870.
Anna Fuss, died Dec. 1, 1863, aged 88.
Elizabeth Bare, born Oct. 15, 1777, died Feb. 12, 1865.
Lydia Senseney, died Oct. 20, 1869, aged 64 years, 6 months, 19 days.
Washington Senseney, born May 28, 1815, died Dec. 18, 1868.
Mary A., his wife, born July 27, 1815, died June 20, 1875.
Joanna Gilbert, died March 8, 1873, aged 37 years, 5 months, 6 days.
Sarah Herbach, born Oct. 16, 1801, died April 12, 1872.
Mary Bentley, died Sept. 27, 1821, aged 24 years, 6 months, 18 days.
Rebecca Steele, died April 6, 1879, aged 65 years, 6 months, 16 days.
William Hollenberry, born Nov. 13, 1817, died Feb. 23, 1870.
Peter Christ, born July 19, 1786, died March 2, 1876.
Elizabeth, his wife, died Oct. 17, 1868, aged 81.
James Gilbert, died July 15, 1877, aged 73 years, 5 months, 6 days.
Alamanda Eckard, died July 13, 1879, aged 43 years, 8 months, 12 days.
Henry Eckard, died April 21, 1876, aged 45.
Edward Arntz, died Oct. 16, 1867, aged 26 years, 1 month, 3 days.
St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran congregation was formed Dec. 29, 1869. It was then under the charge of Rev. J.F. Deiner, and numbered eight members. The elders were Dr. J.J. Weaver and Jacob Ecker; the deacons, O.M. Hitshew, W.H. Hoffman, and J. Routson. Mr. Deiner held the position as pastor of the charge until 1872, when he was succeeded by Rev. G.W. Anderson; the membership at this time was steadily increasing. They held their services in a hall until the erection of their present edifice. The church, which was built by a general contribution, cost about two thousand dollars. The corner-stone was laid Oct. 24, 1874, and the building was dedicated in December of the same year, under the supervision of Rev. D. Morris, of Baltimore. After three years of untiring services Mr. Anderson resigned his charge, in May, 1876, when the Rev. David B. Floyd was called to occupy the pulpit. The estimated cost of their handsome parsonage, which is now under erection, is two thousand dollars. The present officers of the church are: Elders, Dr. Weaver and Jacob Ecker; Deacons, O.M. Hitshew and J. Routser, who have occupied those respective positions since the organization of the church. The congregation now numbers forty members, and the amount of contributions for 1881 was about four hundred dollars. This church has in its charge three other congregations, viz., “Winter’s Church,” “Baust Church,” and “Mount Union;” it has also a Sunday-school attached to it which is in a very flourishing condition. Rev. Mr. Floyd has been the pastor for five years and gives entire satisfaction, and is untiring in his efforts to promote the interests of his church.
The Pipe Creek Circuit of the Methodist Protestant Church was organized in 1829, and has steadily increased in power and influence. Below is given the names of the pastors who have successively ministered to the various congregations under their charge in Uniontown and its vicinity:
1829, D.E. Reese; 1830, F. Stier, J. Hanson; 1831, F. Stier, I. Ibbertson; 1832, Isaac Webster, C.W. Jacobs; 1833, Isaac Webster, W. Sexsmith; 1834, Josiah Varden, H. Doyle; 1835, H. Doyle, J.W. Everest, A.A. Lipscomb; 1836-37, J.S. Reese, J.W. Porter; 1838, Eli Henkle, J.W. Porter; 1839, G.D. Hamilton, B. Henkle; 1840, G.D. Hamilton, B. Appleby; 1841, J.S. Reese, J.T. Ward; 1842, L.R. Reese, P.L. Wilson, J. Elderdice; 1843, J.S. Reese, S.L. Rawleigh, W.T. Eva; 1844, W. Collier, T.L. McLean, J.D. Brooks; 1845, W. Collier, P.L. Wilson, J.K. Nichols; 1846, W. Collier, J.K. Nicholas; 1847, J. Morgan, T.D. Valiant; 1848, J. Morgan, W. Roby; 1849, D.E. Reese, T.L. McLean; 1851, H.P. Jordan, J. Roberts; 1852, H.P. Jordan, H.J. Day; 1853, T.M. Wilson, H.J. Day; 1854, J.A. McFadden; 1855, J.A. McFadden, F. Swentzell; 1856, N.S. Greenaway, F. Swentzell; 1857-60, J.T. Ward, J.T. Murray; 1860, D.E. Reese, J.B. Jones; 1861, D.E. Reese; 1862-65, P.L. Wilson; 1865-68, R.S. Norris; 1868-71, D. Wilson; 1871, J.R. Nichols; 1872-74, H.C. Cashing; 1874-77, J.W. Charter; 1877-80, C.H. Littleton.
The following are the names of some of the persons buried in Uniontown cemetery:
Washington, son of Moses and S.B. Brown, died March 15, 1874, aged 39 years, 3 months, 2 days. He was a member of Co. I, 4th Regiment Md. Vols.
Anna Carlyle, died Aug. 1, 1880, aged 80 years, 3 months, 23 days.
Rachel O’Brien, died Dec. 25, 1870, aged 70.
Sarah Boham, died July 7, 1857, aged 71.
Jacob Zimmerman, born Dec. 30, 1787, died Feb. 5, 1859.
Mary, wife of John Babylon, died March 2, 1859, aged 45 years, 9 months, 14 days.
William Roberts, died March 29, 1860, aged 61; and his wife, Eleanor R., May 13, 1875, aged 70.
Philip Babylon, born Oct. 6, 1776, died Jan. 10, 1842.
Elizabeth Babylon, born Oct. 12, 1782, died July 19, 1857.
Rachel Hammond, died July 23, 1846, aged 82 years, 5 months, 6 days.
Eleanor Roberts, died Feb. 28, 1846, aged 77.
Rachel Brooks, born Dec. 18, 1818, died Jan, 31, 1851.
Caroline Zollickoffer, died Dec. 20, 1850, aged 84.
John M.A. Zollickoffer, died May 20, 1836, aged 51 years, 3 months, 10 days.
William Wright, died Jan. 25, 1838, aged 36.
Rev. Daniel Zollickoffer, died Nov. 1, 1862, aged 72; and Elizabeth, his wife, died July 5, 1851, aged 57.
Rev. Dr. William Zollickoffer, died April 6, 1853, 59 years, 5 months; and Sarah, his wife, died May 24, 1843, aged 44 years, 10 months, 20 days.
Richard Brown, born Dec. 23, 1793, died March 14, 1850; and Susan, his wife, born June 10, 1787, died Sept. 24, 1872.
Samuel Roberts, died June 15, 1838, aged 32 years, 5 months, 8 days.
Charles Stephenson, died Sept. 10, 1832, aged 91 years, 8 months, 26 days.
John D. Norris, died Feb. 4, 1829, aged 23.
Elizabeth Norris, died April 11, 1841, aged 57.
Nicholas Stevenson, born May 18, 1780, died Aug. 8, 1838.
Nancy Stevenson, died May 21, 1848, aged 70.
Sarah Stevenson, died April 10, 1844, aged 60.
William Devilbiss, born April 30, 1790, died Sept. 1, 1834.
Jemima Stevenson, died May 7, 1852, aged 70.
Peter Senseney, born Feb. 3, 1789, died March 21, 1855.
Keturah Senseney, died June 11, 1858, aged 70.
Richard Parrish, born May 10, 1822, died Dec. 2, 1851.
Rachel Rebecca Senseney, died March 19, 1862, aged 36.
Michael Spousler, died Oct. 25, 1832.
George Herbach, died April 28, 1836, aged 69 years, 4 months; and Elizabeth, his wife, born Dec. 24, 1774, died July 28, 1858.
Zachariah Weeling, died Sept. 16, 1870, aged 65.
Abraham Shriver, died Aug. 24, 1855, aged 80 years, 5 months, 29 days.
John Shriver, died April 25, 1869, aged 51.
Robert Dungan, born March 28, 1818, died April 18, 1858.
Emily Dungan, born Jan, 16, 1811, died April 28, 1863.
Elizabeth Wright, died July 14, 1867, aged 85 years, 7 months, 6 days.
Rev. Francis G. Wright (of M.P. Church), died Feb. 23, 1859, aged 35 years, 7 months.
Norris Meredith, died Sept.12, 1860, aged 90 years, 10 months, 15 days.
Lydia Meredith, died Jan. 23, 1867, aged 70 years, 11 months, 10 days.
Catharine Meredith, died Feb. 24, 1867, a6ed 75 years, 9 months, 5 days.
William N. Meredith, died Jan. 14, 1868, aged 53 years, 9 months, 20 days.
Mary G. Meredith, died Jan. aged 16, 1868, aged 61 years, 2 months, 29 days.
Elizabeth B. Meredith, born Feb. 22, 1802, died Nov. 20, 1875.
Nathaniel N. Meredith, born April 5, 1798, died Dec. 25, 1874.
Nathan Roop, born May 3, 1835, died April 10, 1874.
Michael Nusbaum, died March 8, 1877, aged 66 years, 2 months, 8 days; and Catharine, his wife, Jan. 19, 1873, aged 77 years, 7 months, 3 days.
William Shaw, died April 18, 1869, aged 68 years, 3 months.
Anna Maria, wife of Rev. David Wilson, died May 29, 1870, aged 41 years, 4 months, 11 days.
Dennis Cookson, died July 22, 1879, aged 44 years, 4 months, 10 days.
Joseph Cookson, born Aug. 24, 1793, died June 1, 1846.
Rachel Cookson, born Feb. 1, 1800, died Jan. 24, 1875.
Samuel Cookson, born Sept. 17, 1762, died Dec. 22, 1836; and Rachel, his wife, born 1779, died 1853, aged 74.
John W. Babylon, died Nov. 19, 1866, aged 21 years, 8 months, 18 days.
John N. Starr, born March 24, 1808, died May 26, 1880; and Mary, his wife, born March 10, 1810, died Aug. 27, 1878.
Hannah M., wife of Milton S.Starr, died Jan. 13, 1874, aged 29 years, 5 months, 27 days.
Mordecai Haines, died Jan. 19, 1861, aged 40.
Louisa Babylon, died Dec. 6, 1854, aged 38 years, 9 months, 17 days.
Deborah, wife of David Foutz, died Sept. 25, 1842, aged 41.
Charles Devilbiss, born Aug. 13, 1786, died Sept. 29, 1862; and Elizabeth, his wife, died Feb. 27, 1864, aged 76 years, 1 month, 21 days.
Ann Eliza, consort of John S. Devilbiss, died April 4, 1869, aged 34 years, 6 days.
Martha Devilbiss, died Jan, 19, 1868, aged 37 years, 15 days.
Mary E. Devilbiss, died Oct. 17, 1870, aged 46 years, 1 month, 4 days.
Wm. H. Devilbiss, born Jan. 13, 1821, died April 3, 1880.
Edward Devilbiss, born Oct. 5, 1822, died Jan. 1, 1880; and Louisa C., his wife, born Sept. 11, 1825, died Feb. 2, 1879.
John B. Williams, died July 23, 1861, aged 66; and Temperance, his wife, died Nov. 19, 1872, aged 69 years, 7 days.
John Smith, died Aug. 7, 1868, aged 70 years, 4 months, 9 days; and Mary, his wife, died Nov. 6, 1878, aged 77 years, 7 months, 16 days.
William Goswell, died July 20, 1839, aged 56.
Matilda Morelock, died April 15, 1851, aged 53 years, 6 months.
Nancy Wilson, wife of George Harris, died March 1, 1858, aged 65.
Mary Brisco, died Aug. 17, 1869, aged 75.
John Hyder, born Aug. 22, 1787, died March 20, 1878; and Catharine, his wife, born April 16, 1788, died March 13, 1863; Englid Hyder, their son, born Aug. 31, 1814, died Feb. 12, 1853.
“Sydney Hyder Johnson, aged 23.”
Below are given the votes polled for district officers since June 4, 1851:
1851.—Vote for Primary School-Commissioners: Isaac Slingluff 253, Wm. Hughes 117, Henry H. Herbaugh 157, William Ecker 44.
1853.—For Justices: Richard Dell 280, Helpher Crawmer 55, John Smelzer 33, H.W. Dell 17, H.H. Herbaugh 354, Samuel Shunk 259, W.R. Currey 292, Joshua Switzer 321; Constables: Wm. Segafoose 384, Wm. Brown 225, Wm. Wilson 311, Wm. Delphy 197; Road Supervisor: Frederick Tawney 240, Thos. F. Shepherd, 302.
1855.—For Justices: Henry Fleagle 476, H.H. Herbaugh 486, E.A. Adee 481, John T. Lowe 480, John Smelzer 147; Constables: Wm. Delphy 463, Wm. Wilson 466, W. Segafoose, 232; Road Supervisor: Hiram Englar, 488.
1857.—For Justices: H.H. Herbaugh 378, D.B. Fleagle 353, J.B. Christ 304, S. Anders 340; Constables: Wm. Brown 166, J.T. Myers 328, Isaac B. Wright 338; Road Supervisor: J.B. Williams 342.
1859.—For Justices: W.H. Haines 153, Caleb Baring 138, W.H. Herbaugh 341, D.B. Fleagle 334, Joshua Switzer 345, John Hesson 355; Constables: Frederick Tawney 137, J.R. Haines 361, Levi Haifley 351; Road Supervisor: Samuel Beck 330.
1861.—For Justices: H.H. Herbaugh 454, John Hesson 447, Levi Fleagle 445, Joshua Switzer 449; Constables: A.S. Warner 346, Wm. Singer 412, J.W. Segafoose 202; Road Supervisor: Wm. Beck 364, W.S. Lantz 91, Noah Plowman 74.
The public school trustees for 1881 and 1882 have been:
1 and 2. Uniontown.—J.C. Brubaker, Jesse J.H. Davis, Wm. H. McCollum.
3. Tunker Meeting-house.—George H. Brown, Levi Caylor, John H. Jordan.
4. Moredock’s.—David Roop, John Royer, Henry Brunner.
5 and 6. Frizellsburg.—Dr. Jacob Rinehart, Alfred Warner, Leonard Zile.
7. Pleasant Valley.—Wm. Bowers, Noah Powell, Uriah Feaser.
8. Baust Church.—Jesse Unger, Wm. Neusbaumn, Wm. Farmwalt.
9. Fairview.—Davis Myers, Daniel Diehl, David Stoner.
10. Bear Mount,—Samuel Wantz, David E. Morelock, George W. Hull.
1. Middletown African School.—John Thompson, Summerfield Roberts, Lloyd Coats (colored).
The teachers and number of pupils for the term ending April 15, 1881, were:
1, H.P. Engler, 49; 2, Ella Beam, 42; 3, T.H. Adams, 30; 4, S.P. Weaver, 54; 5, Thomas Tipton, 41; 6, J.J. Reindollar, 48; 7, J.P. Earnest, 42; 8, Francis L. Delaplane, 51; 9, A.H. Diffenbaugh, 47; 10, Sue L. Langly, 34; 1 (colored school), T.F. McCann, 20.
Frizzellburg.—The village of Frizzellburg is five miles from Westminster, and pleasantly situated near Meadow Branch. It was named in honor of the Frizzell family, early identified with the settlement.
Among the first families located in the immediate vicinity of the town were the Smiths, Haifleys, Harmans, Blacks, Roops, and Warners.
The house now owned by Jeremiah Rinehart was the first erected in the village, and was occupied by Daniel Smith, one of the first residents of the town, in 1814, and was built probably prior to the year 1800. In the year 1814, Nimrod Frizzell, accompanied by his family, settled in the neighborhood and worked at his trade, that of a blacksmith. At that time there were but few houses within the village limits. The Haifleys lived in the house now occupied by Larry Freeman. George Harman built and resided in the present residence of Edward Six. Jacob Black lived in the house which is now the home of Mrs. Vance. In 1818, Nimrod Frizzell built the house which is now owned and occupied by Judge Frizzell. He lived there and kept a hotel, together with a small store, which was conducted in his name after his death until 1860. Frank Lytle was the first school-teacher in the village, and was followed by Samuel Moffat and Francis Matthias. Dr. Cook was the first regular physician, and located here about the year 1847. He remained but a short time, and was followed by Dr. Baker, Dr. Shipley, Dr. Roberts, Dr. Kennedy, and Dr. Price respectively. In 1864, Dr. J.E. Rinehart located here. He was a native of Carroll County, and was born in Hampstead District. He came to the vicinity of Frizzellburg in 1836, attended the public schools at this point, and in 1849 entered the Gettysburg Academy, Pa., where he graduated in 1855. He attended lectures in Philadelphia, and graduated at the Medical College in 1858.
After locating and remaining in Pennsylvania during the war, he permanently located in Frizzellburg. He was married to Maggie, a daughter of Peter Greeble, of Emmittsburg, Frederick Co., Md. Mr. Rinehart represented his county in the Maryland Legislature in 1876. Richard Brown was the earliest merchant, and was succeeded by Darius Brown, who opened his place of business in the front room of the house now occupied by Ephraim Cover. In 1849 he built himself a store-room and removed his goods to that building. Campbell & Everheart succeeded to his business in 1851. Mr. Brown having died the previous year, they built themselves a larger storehouse to accommodate the rapidly-increasing trade of the village. A gentleman by the name of Richard Dell, and also a Mr. Holliberry, were the successors of Messrs. Campbell & Everheart, and were themselves succeeded, in 1881, by Mr. Kerster.
In 1842, Isaac Appler built the dwelling and storehouse now owned and occupied by Mr. Warner. Mr. Appler sold it to Mr. Gilbert, who kept a grocery-store, and who subsequently sold it to Valentine Vance. A dry-goods and grocery-store has since been established here, Mr. Warner having purchased the property from Mrs. Vance in 1860.
Mr. Frizzell, the son of Nimrod Frizzell, from whom the village received its title, was born in the year 1818, and has always been a resident of the place. For three years he held the position of leather inspector of the city of Baltimore. He married, in 1844, Miss Barbara N., daughter of John and Mary Swigart. Mr. Frizzell is at present one of the judges of the Orphans’ Court.
Church of God.—This congregation was formed under the auspices of Rev. William McFadden. The church was erected and dedicated in the year 1842, at a cost of seven hundred and fifty dollars. Rev. Joseph Bombarger delivered the dedicatory sermon. The following gentlemen composed the building committee, and were authorized to collect all the subscriptions: Benjamin Fleagle, Levi Fleagle, James Gilbert, Caleb Boring, and Henry Fleagle. The congregation at that time numbered forty members.
Rev. Mr. Lugenbeel is the present pastor, and Levi Fleagle the elder. The latter has held that position since the organization of the church. The trustees for the year 1881 are Levi Fleagle, Wm. L. Fleagle, Benjamin Fleagle, and John T. Baust, and the number of members fifteen. In the rear of the church is the Church of God cemetery, in which are buried several children, and there are also many unmarked graves. Among the names recorded are Eliza Jabes, died Jan. 22, 1862, aged sixty-five years, four months, four days, and Thomas Jones, died Aug. 11, 1873, aged fifty-two years.
The building in which are held the sessions of the Frizzellburg Academy is commodious and amply provided with all the necessary paraphernalia for proper training and education. The school is graded to suit the ages and development of scholars, and is supplied with an excellent corps of teachers.
Within four miles of the village, on the banks of the Big Pipe Creek, there stood until recently an old stone mill and dwelling, erected in 1776 by two Tories named Graffs. They were driven from Philadelphia because of the intemperate expression of their unpopular opinions and sympathies, and fled to Carroll County (at that time Frederick) for refuge. They settled upon this stream and prospered, their calamities having taught them the wisdom of moderation and taciturnity.
Tyrone.—The village of Tyrone is situated thirty-two miles west of Baltimore and six miles west of Westminster, on what is generally known as “the plank road” leading from Westminster to Taneytown. It contains a handsome church, a mill, a store for general merchandise, and a number of dwelling-houses. The Farmwalt family, early settlers in the neighborhood, founded the town. William L. Fleagle is the postmaster and principal merchant, and W.H. Rider superintends the mill.
Emmanuel Church, or Baust’s church, in which the Lutheran and Reformed congregations jointly worship, was built many years ago, but was thoroughly repaired and almost completely remodeled, Oct. 18, 1868. The congregations were originally organized prior to the year 1794, and worshiped in an old log school-house which stood upon the site of the present church, the land having been deeded Jan. 10, 1794, by Valentine and Maria Baust, to build a church and school-house, and it was from the donors that the church derived its former name.
The two congregations were incorporated by an act of the General Assembly of Maryland passed Jan. 12, 1835. The incorporators were John Fleagle, Sr., John Derr, Michael Morelock, and Peter Haifley. At a meeting of the two congregations in 1838 there were present John Derr, Peter Dayhoff, Peter Golle, George Maxwell, John Fleagle, Jr., Valentine Wentz, and Jacob Valentine.
The officers of the church at this time were as follows:
German Reformed Congregation: Elders, John Fleagle, Peter Golle; Deacons, Peter Dayhoff, John Fleagle; Trustees, George Maxwell, John Derr. Lutheran Congregation: Elders, M. Morelock, Andrew Babylon; Deacons, Henry Hahn, Jacob Valentine; Trustees, Valentine Wentz, Peter Halfleigh.
The ministers who have served the Lutheran congregation, as far as can be ascertained, are as follows: John Grupp was the first, and was at the time also the pastor of Taneytown, Krider’s, Winter’s, and Silver Run Lutheran Churches. He was followed in 1819 by Henry Graver; Rev. John N. Hoffman, 1833; Samuel Finckle, 1834; Ezra Keller, 1835; Solomon Sentman,1840; Rev. Philip Willard, 1845; Corne1ius Reimensnider, John Winters, 1850; Samuel Henry, 1855 to 1868; Mr. Deiner, 1872 ; Rev. G.W. Anderson, and the present pastor, Rev. David B. Floyd.
This church was in the Emmittsburg and Taneytown charge until 1840, when it was transferred to the Westminster Circuit. Again, about the year 1870, it was transferred to the Uniontown Circuit, to which it now belongs. The present officers of the two congregations are:
Lutheran: Elders, William Nusbaum and Jacob Myers; Deacons, Dr. J.E. Rinehart, Lewis Myers; Trustees, Jeremiah Rinehart, Ephraim Winter. This congregation numbers ninety members. German Reformed: Elders, Jesse Unger, Joshua Crawford; Deacon, Josiah Erb; Trustees, Jacob Sell, Wm. Farmwalt. Joint Board: President, William Nusbaum; Secretary, Dr. J.E. Rinehart. Jacob Myers, joint treasurer; Jacob Myers, treasurer Lutheran Congregation; Jesse Unger, treasurer Reformed Congregation.
As was said above, in 1868 the church was thoroughly remodeled and rededicated, the services being interesting and impressive. The preparatory exercises were conducted by Rev. Griffith Owen, of Baltimore, and the sermon was preached by Rev. P.A. Strobel, of Westminster. The dedicatory services were performed by Rev. J. Steiner. The debt of the church was liquidated by subscriptions raised during the services. The name of the church was also changed at that time, and it has since been known as Emmanuel. The following persons are buried in Baust Church Cemetery:
Abraham Hann, died Oct. 5, 1862, aged 80 years, 11 months, 25 days.
Josiah Hafley, died Nov. 29, 1855, aged 36 years, 5 months, 13 days.
Margaret Fluegal, born Jan. 3, 1770, died Dec. 4, 1842.
John Fluegal, born Nov. 17, 1762, died Sept. 3, 1845.
Uriah Baust, born Nov. 23, 1822, died Nov. 16, 1849.
Abraham Hann, born May 4, 1817, died March 16, 1841.
Jacob Keefer, died July 13, 1837, aged 34 years, 6 months, 21 days.
Lydia Hesson, wife of John Hesson, and daughter of John Taney, died Aug. 27, 1842, aged 17.
Peter Haiffle, born April 11, 1786, died Jan. 11, 1869.
Levi Haifley, died July 3, 1830, aged 17.
Margaret, wife of Peter Hafley, died Dec. 23, 183—, aged 43 years, 1 month, 23 days.
Sophia Wagner, died Aug. 13, 1836, aged 62 years, 7 months.
Mary Wantz, died March 25, 1842, aged 24 years, 9 months, 28 days.
Catharine Shoemaker, died 1834.
Peter Shoemaker, died Dec. 24, 1838, aged 81 years, 8 months, 24 days.
Mary E. Wentz, died 1833, aged 40.
George Warner, died April 30, 1836, aged 77 years, 10 months, 10 days.
Johannes Bischoff, born 1740, died July 9, 1813, aged 73 years, 4 months.
Maria Bischoff, died Dec. 21, 1824, aged 80.
Jacob Bishop, died Aug. 31, 1832, aged 59 years, 9 months, 7 days; and Elizabeth, his wife, died Dec. 4, 1824, aged 35 years, 9 months, 18 days.
Margaret Mock, died Jan. 2, 1815, aged 64.
Peter Mock, died April 3, 1812, aged 85.
Jacob Honer, died 1798.
Frederick Wentz, Jr., died Sept. 27, 1824, aged 63.
Geo. Frederick Wentz, died Feb. 3, 1833, aged 78 years, 1 month, 15 days.
Frederick Keefer, born Dec. 2, 1795, died Aug. 4, 1855.
Elizabeth Shreiner, born in 1771, died in 1773.
Sarah Swigart, died March 28, 1813, aged 25 years, 10 months, 2 days.
“Wagner, born 1755, died 1801.”
Michael Wagner, born Nov. 6, 1752, died Feb. 21, 1839.
Barbara Yar, born Dec. 4, 1784, died Dec. 2, 1806.
Ulrich Stollern, born April 15, 1737, died September, 1816.
John Marker, died Aug. 16, 1824, aged 65; and Susannah, his wife, born Feb. 12, 1774, died March 3, 1839.
Elizabeth Moler, born Nov. 14, 1776, died Feb. 18, 1813.
Magdalena Derr, died July 19, 1822, aged 25.
Abraham Derr, died May 11, 1829, aged 62.
Elizabeth Deer, died Nov. 13, 1822, aged 55.
Jacob Derr, born Nov. 12, 1788, died Dec. 23, 1819.
Valentine Wentz, died Feb. 19, 1843, aged 56 years, 11 months, 20 days.
Catherine Bishop, born Oct. 13, 1783, died June 13, 1845.
John F. Haifley, died Sept. 14, 1845, aged 55 years, 5 months, 13 days.
George Eckard, died Nov. 9, 1822, aged 65 years, 11 months, 20 days.
Aaron P. Erviesse, died Aug. 24, 1829, aged 6.
Mary Seel, died Aug. 27, 1813, aged 80.
Sarah Worley, born March 6, 1799, died Sept. 13, 1857.
Lydia Worley, born June 18, 1803, died Feb. 17, 1858.
Lydia, wife of Daniel Myers, died July 16, 1856, aged 40 years, 11 months.
Elizabeth Hann, died March 20, 1855, aged 69 years, 2 months, 1 day.
Peter Hesson, born July 21, 1783, died Dec. 16, 1865; and Susannah, his wife, born Dec. 15, 1797, died Jan. 25, 1857.
Catherine, wife of John Fleet, died Dec. 11, 1856, aged 72.
Peter Zepp, died Aug. 21, 1879, aged 71 years, 1 month, 14 days; and Catherine, his wife, born April 28, 1810, died Jan. 23, 1855.
Abraham Hesson, died Feb. 19, 1855, aged 81 years, 11 months, 21 days.
Louisa Hesson, died Jan. 14, 1859, aged 70 years, 11 months, 27 days.
Eli Hesson, died Sept. 9, 1859, aged 47 years, 6 months, 12 days.
John L. Powell, born June 23, 1779, died April 15, 1855; and Elizabeth, his wife, born April 12, 1782, died May, 1864.
Peter Gatle, died July 7, 1865, aged 76 years, 10 months, 16 days; and Catherine, his wife, Feb. 25, 1862, aged 68 years, 8 months, 3 days.
Josiah Bankard, born Oct. 25, 1830, died July 17, 1873.
Abraham Bankard, died Oct. 30, 1879, aged 80 years, 22 days.
Ezra Haifley, “Co. A, 6th Md. Regt. Vols.,” born Sept. 27, 1840, died Oct. 14, 1864.
Wm. Gregg, born April, 1818, died April, 1866.
Lydia, wife of Josiah Babylon, died Aug. 10, 1867, aged 47 years, 10 months, 9 days.
Joseph Cox, born Aug. 10, 1801, died Oct. 29, 1879; and Rachel, his wife, born Nov. 8, 1811, died May 24, 1872.
“John Mathew, honest and faithful servant to Abraham Hesson, died Sept. 9, 1855, aged 61.”
Valentine Wantz, died June 25, 1876, aged 65 years, 6 months, 23 days; and Susannah, his wife, born July 8, 1800, died March 5, 1870.
Mathias Copenhover, died Jan. 8, 1877, aged 68 years, 8 months, 22 days; and Mary, his wife, died May 4, 1875, aged 72 years, 8 months, 8 days.
Sarah, their daughter, born Dec. 5, 1830, died March 18, 1864; and Elizabeth, another daughter, born Dec. 3, 1835, died August, 1863.
John Fleagle, a soldier of 1812, born June 25, 1793, died March 15, 1879: and Rachel, his wife, born Jan. 22, 1795, died May 8, 1865.
Uriah Fleagle, of “Co. G, 1st Regt. Md. Vols.” (P.H.B.), born Feb. 21, 1843, fell at the battle of Gettysburg, July 3, 1863, aged 20 years, 4 months, 9 days.
Amos Fleagle was killed at the battle of Murfreesboro’, December, 1862.
George Fleagle, died Feb. 27, 1880, aged 81 years, 7 months, 4 days.
Anna Louisa, wife of Amos Hull, died Dec. 22, 1876, aged 38.
Margaret Rinehart, died June 5, 1863, aged 49.
Samuel Fitze, died Nov. 30, 1871, aged 49 years, 2 months, 27 days.
Valentine Wantz, born Jan. 27, 1820, died March 11, 1860.
Anna Maria Meyers, born Dec. 21, 1777, died Oct. 3, 1863.
Susan, wife of Jacob Eckard, died Jan. 9, 1861, aged 51.
John Lampert, died June 20, 1874, aged 76; and Louisa, his wife, Feb. 17, 1877, aged 78 years, 11 days.
Hezekiah Lambert, born Oct. 24, 1825, died April 7, 1860.
George Warner, born July 15, 1814, died Feb. 6, 1872.
Sarah Warner, born May 24, 1795, died May 16, 1872.
Elizabeth Warner, born May 26, 1776, died Oct. 1, 1857.
William Warner, died Dec. 30, 1853, aged 36 years, 7 months, 15 days.
Michael Dotzour, died March 19, 1858, aged 35 years, 5 months, 10 days.
Margaret Dotzour, died May 6, 1872, aged 68.
John Babylon, born May 10, 1803, died March 1, 1862.
John Dell, born Dec. 17, 1773, died Oct. 23, 1871.
Mary Dell, born July 26, 1777, died Sept. 28, 1851.
Michael Babylon, died Dec. 12, 1870, aged 70 years, 8 months, 23 days.
Andrew Babylon, born Aug. 20, 1779, died Oct. 21, 1851.
Susanna Babylon, died Feb. 8, 1870, aged 91 years, 9 months, 17 days.
David Babylon, born Dec. 21, 1820, died July 15, 1857; and Mary, his wife, born Feb. 13, 1821, died Feb. 4, 1857.
George Rodkey, born Dec. 8, 1790, died Nov. 25, 1851.
Mary Eckard, born Dec. 13, 1765, died Jan. 31, 1856.
Solomon Farmwalt, born Sept. 4, 1793, died Feb. 22, 1881; and Elizabeth, his wife, born April 28, 1800, died March 22, 1852.
Ellenoore Fromfelter, died Feb. 15, 1870, aged 76 years, 3 months, 4 days.
John Nusbaum, born March 25, 1793, died June 1, 1866; and Elizabeth, his wife, born July 28, 1799, died Dec. 6, 1864.
Henry Beard, died Aug. 4, 1861, aged 41 years, 6 months, 5 days.
Cornelius Baust, born Feb. 10, 1785, died April 26, 1868; and Elizabeth, his wife, born Sept. 6, 1791, died March 1, 1865.
Charles Crawford, died Dec. 11, 1871, born May 23, 1805.
Fred. Wantz, born March 3, 1778, died Jan. 24, 1857; and Mary, his wife, died Feb. 8, 1852, aged 64 years, 2 months, 8 days.
George Wantz, died May 6, 1866, aged 36 years, 1 month, 11 days.
Eliza Hunger, died May 2, 1877, aged 63 years, 25 days.
Catharine, wife of Jesse Babylon, died April 5, 1878, aged 62.
Elizabeth, wife of Joshua Stansbury, born Aug. 13, 1813, died Feb. 1, 1874.
Wm. Lampert, born Sept. 1, 1826, died April 7, 1878.
Dr. David B. Fleagle, died Feb. 26, 1878, aged 35 years, 9 months, 6 days.
Jacob Foglesong, born Jan. 12, 1807, died Nov. 27, 1880.
Peter Babylon, born Nov. 14, 1781, died Jan. 28, 1850.
Hannah Foutz, born Nov. 26, 1770, died Aug. 28, 1815.
Elizabeth Foutz, died Sept. 27, 1830, aged 43.
Solomon Foutz, died Feb. 14, 1839, aged 78 years, 10 months, 25 days.
Jacob Youn, died January, 1830, aged 60.
Mary Youn, died March 15, 1824, aged 37 years, 2 months, 13 days.
Mary, infant daughter of Wm. Youn, died May 4, 1825.
John Yon, born April 1, 1829, died Jan. 1, 1831.
Catherine Yon, born 1785, died 1797.
Elizabeth Babylon, born Dec. 22, 1790, died April 26, 1813.
Samuel Farnhord, born Oct. 9, 1817, died June, 1818.
Leonard Kitzmiller, born April 27, 1732, died March 1, 1820.
David Stouffer, died Dec. 15, 1867, aged 76 years, 11 months, 14 days; and Mary, his wife, died March 26, 1841, aged 48 years, 4 months, and 12 days.
Emma Kate, daughter of N. and C. Heck, died Aug. 30, 1869, aged 7 months, 21 days.
Susannah Holloway, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Holloway, died 1809.
“P.W., died 1785.”
Alexander McIlheny, died Jan. 25, 1835, aged 56 years, 10 months, 20 days; and Elizabeth, his wife; born Aug. 1, 1779, died May 2, 1853.
Mayberry is a small village five miles from Taneytown, near Bear Branch. N.H. Fleagle is the postmaster and merchant of the place, and William Stonesifer and Henry Eck are the millers.
Pleasant Valley, another small village, is five miles from Westminster. Samuel Lawyer is the postmaster; H.B. Albaugh, merchant; and F.L. Yingling & Son, mill-owners. St. Matthew’s Reformed church was built at a cost of $2400, and dedicated Nov. 30, 1879.
History of Western Maryland: Taneytown District, No. 1., by Louis H. Everts, 1882, Chapter 39A, p. 830--.)
Transcribed by Carol C. Eddleman.